06 Apr Sweet Tangy Ribs Braised in Black Vinegar
I love everything sweet & sour and especially with this dish, I can easily finish a big bowl of rice. I know…it’s guilty pleasure dish but it’s so delicious with the rich sweet tangy sauce and tender fall apart meat. The thing is this signature dish originated from Shanghai is nothing fancy, you can easily prepare it at home and serve at dinner table in 45mins.
Ingredients (2 servings)
1. 1 pack of baby back ribs (1 lb)
2. 4-5 TBS Chinese black vinegar
3. 2 TBS dark soy sauce
4. 2 TBS light soy sauce
5. 3 TBS palm sugar
6. 2 TBS Chinese cooking wine
7. A handful of chopped green onion
8. 2 cloves of garlic
9. 3 pieces of sliced ginger
1. Blanch ribs in an uncovered pot of boiling water for at least 6 mins. You would see foam and residues floating on top of the boiling water. Discard the blanching water and rinse the ribs.
2. Heat the wok with 1 tsp of oil and sautéed chopped garlic & ginger over medium-high heat
3. Add ribs and also ingredients (2-6) to the pan.
4. Add water to barely cover the ribs and stir the ingredients well.
6. Bring it to boil and turn down to medium heat, simmer for 40mins covered.
7. Taste the sauce and adjust to your taste for adding more vinegar or sugar.
8. Check consistency of the sauce. It should start caramelized and glazed over the ribs.
9. Place the ribs on a plate and ready to be served. Sprinkle chopped green onion for garnish
Note: If the sauce is too watery, thicken with mixture of corn starch & cold water.