12 Jul Spicy Watermelon Salad with Lemon & Chia
1. 1-2 slices of watermelon
2. Half Lemon and Half Lime
3. Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
4. 25-30ml of extra vigin olive oil
5. Pinch of chili flakes or cayenne pepper
6. Handful of chia seeds
7. Mint leaves for garnish
1. Dice watermelon in small cubes
2. Mix olive oil, lemon and lime juice, salt and chili flakes well together. Pour over the watermelon mixture. Adjust seasoning if needed.
3. Chill the watermelon salad in the fridge for 30mins.
4. Garnish with Mint leaves and leftover dressing.
5. Serve chia seeds and sea salt on the side, dip watermelon cubes in as much as you like then enjoy the crunchy, spicy and sweet summer salad.
Often I’m not sure how can we consume a whole watermelon as there are just 2 of us in the house. Eat them straight of course but it’s getting boring after a day or 2. Maybe watermelon cocktails? That’s a good one and I have created one before, check it out my recipe of watermelon cocktail. Watermelon popsicles? Or how about a savoury dish? I got the inspiration to create this recipe from having grilled steak served with various kinds of salt in a fine dining restaurant. How about watermelon cubes dipped in chia seeds and salt, that can be a vegan friendly dish? Fruit salad is normally served casually in bowls, how about I twist it to a fine dining version. Still healthy and homemade but the experience is uplifted and fun to eat.
This spicy watermelon salad may sound like something out from your comfort zone but just imagine the taste is spicy, sweet and balanced with a hint of salt. I’m telling you it’s exciting and interesting as it sounds. Great to serve in summer as appetizer or side dish for barbecue.