16 Oct Tomato Sorbet
I had tomato ice cream long time ago in a Japanese restaurant and was surprised by how refreshing it tasted. I have created a savoury amuse-bouche reminiscent of the amazing tomato dessert I had. It’s prefect start to the tenderloin steak main course afterwards.
Medium sized tomato x 1
Prawns x 2
Mini Italian crackers x 2
Frisbee lettuce x 1
Lemon wedges for garnishing
1. Cut through tomato skin like X on the top
2. Drop tomato into boiling water for 20sec, follow by an ice bath and use a pairing knife to peel off the skin
3. Chop and puree tomato with blender
4. Season puree lightly with sugar, pepper and salt (add cayenne paper or tobasco if you want some kick)
5. Pour puree in a shallow pan and put it in the freezer
6. Use a fork to scrape the mixture in every 15mins and repeat the scraping until it turns into sorbet like texture.
7. Pan seared or grilled prawns with butter or olive oil, sprinkle salt & pepper
8. Place a scoop of tomato sorbet at the bottom, then layer frisbee lettuce, prawns and lastly the crackers.
9. Garnish with lemon wedges