03 Jul Totoro Soba
Food styling can sound pretty intimidating sometimes and you might not even think of it as an easy thing to do in a home kitchen. This cute recipe of Totoro Soba is just a regular bowl of Japanese buckwheat soba and udon and you don’t need any fancy tools nor advanced cooking skills to replicate this. It’s also fun to do with young children and I’m sure you can impress them with this cute looking dish.
How to create Totoro Zaru Soba Noodles:
- Follow instructions on the package to prepare Soba and Udon ( or Somen )
- To create the body of Totoro, you have to grab a handful of noodles and twist them into a big circle with your hands or a tong. Place them on the plate gently.
- Repeat step (2) for his ears, except this time you only need very little noodles to form 2 small circles.
- Again use your hands or tong to form the udon or somen into an oval shape for his belly.
- Chop green onions and arrange them around Totoro’s body. Save the white bottom part for his eyes.
- Cut dried seaweed into tiny circles for his eyes and nose, thin stripes for his fur and whiskers.
- Serve them cold with soba dipping sauce (you can find them available in Asian supermarkets.)