19 Apr Cold Brew Sakura Yu
I’m soaking up the very last bits of Cherry Blossom. 桜湯 Sakura Yu is the traditional Japanese herbal tea to serve cherry blossom with boiling hot water, mainly served at weddings and celebrations. Preserved cherry blossom is normally served in the herbal tea, I have used fresh cherry blossom (Fugenzo Yaezakura) in my recipe. It gives a pale pink colour and slight cherry flavour when the sakura ice cubes start to melt. Quintessentially a romantic drink to celebrate Spring.
Servings for 2-4
1) 6-8 fresh cherry blossoms
2) Ice cube tray
3) A bottle of carbonated water
4) 200ml hot water
1) Soak cherry blossom in a bowl of cold water for couple minutes, gently wash them then repeat the step for 2-3 times. Use paper towel to dry the blooms.
2) Arrange the blooms in a large cup and pour hot water in. Steep for couple mins and let it cool to room temperature.
3) Arrange blooms individually in the ice cube tray and pour in the rest of steeped liquid. Freeze them until they turn into ice cubes.
4) Serve sakura ice cubes in a champagne glass and top with carbonated water.
5) Enjoy the subtle cherry flavour and unfolded petals when they slowly melt into the carbonated water.